EXCEPTIONS, including GIFT BOOKS OR REVIEW COPIES

Exceptions to this Project's deferral of new book purchases beyond 2020 include books given me as gifts or books I purchase as gifts to others. Another exception would be books sent as "review copies." The List unfolds as the year unfolds. And here are the books entering la casa without being purchased in their respective four categories (the biggest source so far are review copies even though I don't guarantee doing reviews):


THE EXCEPTIONS!

PURCHASES:

The Collected Poems of Ai (W.W. Norton, 2014). I purchased this book to uplift Black voices, a private response in grief over the death of George Floyd.



Between The World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates (Spiegel and Brau, 2015). Biography. I was interested but also bought this book to be part of my "Big/Small" series at my Miniature Book Library where I present books as miniatures accompanied by their normatively-sized books:



7 DAYS: Expanded Edition, Editor Holly Crawford (AC Books, 2020). Art. I bought it to support my publisher and because I'm sincerely interested in the topic.



Wild Metrics by Ken Edwards (Grand Iota, U.K., 2019)

The Neapolitan Novels Boxed Set: My Brilliant Friend, The Story of a New Name, Those Who leave and Those Who Stay, and The Story of the Lost Child by Elena Ferrante (Europa Editions, 2016)

I purchased these novels along with Frantumaglia, her diary, to catch up with her writings under the theory that if I'm going to be a novelist I should be writing the (supposed) best in the form (I say supposed as I haven't yet read these books; I make up my own mind).


Frantumaglia: A Writer's Journey by Elena Ferrante (Europa Editions, 2016)



Scentsibility edited by Ayo Gutierrez and Edentu Oroso (GMGA Publishing & Pixel and Feather Printing & Digital Services, Philippines, 2020). Anthology of poems; I bought it to support the publishers who included one of my poems in it. 



Bronte Wilde by Fanny Howe (Grand Iota, U.K., 2020)

The Anarchivist by Geof Huth (AC Books, 2020). I love Geof Huth's works and I wanted, too, to support the publisher AC Books.



The Shenanigans by Brian Marley (Grand Iota, U.K., 2020). I purchased this book as part of a subscription to support the relatively-new publisher Grand Iota.



A COLLEGE OF HER OWN: The History of Barnard by Robert McCaughey. Had to buy it since I'm an alumna!

The Conquered Sits at the Bus Stop, Waiting by Veronica Montes (Black Lawrence Press, 2020)




Karst Mountains Will Bloom: The Collected Poems of Pos Mua (Blue Oak Press, 2019). I thought to purchase this book at this time since Pos Moua just passed; all sales proceeds will go to his family. While alive, sales of Pos Moua’s books had supported and made possible a forthcoming anthology THEY RISE LIKE A WAVE: AN ANTHOLOGY OF ASIAN AMERICAN WOMEN POETS. While I'm honored to be part of the anthology, it's not why I made the purchase. I did so because a poet who supported others in his lifetime deserves now to have his work support the family he left behind.



My Burlesque by Cristina Querrer (sp, 2020). I purchased this chapbook because the author deserves support.



Play, A Novel by Allan Singer (Grand Iota, U.K., 2020). I purchased this book as part of a subscription to support the relatively-new publisher Grand Iota.



Foreign Sounds or Sounds Foreign by John Yau (MadHat Press, 2020). I decided to support this book by pre-ordering it (which also encourages its publisher given publishing concerns about releasing new books during "The Time of the Corona Virus") because John Yau also wrote the best read I've enjoyed among collections of art essays: The United States of Jasper Johns (Zoland Books, 1997). Congratulations to the author for his new book!



FUNDRAISER FOR THOSE AFFECTED BY CORONA VIRUS:

I donated to Feeding America which is mobilizing to help feed children affected by school closures. This was facilitated by an idea of Marianne Chan to give copies of her new poetry book ALL HEATHENS (Sarabande, 2020) in exchange for donations. Poetry works! Donations can be made HERE.



PURCHASE FOR GIFT:

The Collected Poems of Audre Lorde (Norton, reprint edition, 2000).  I'm delighted at this first purchase as I plucked it out of the wedding registry of two fabulous poet-activists, Jonathan Penton and Rosalyn Spencer. How wonderful to see poetry books amidst pots and pans! Congratulations Jonathan and Rosalyn!


GIFTS RECEIVED:

I LOVE ARTISTS: New and Selected Poems by Mei-mei Berssenbrugge (University of California Press, 2006). Gift from Leny M. Strobel!

The Silence of the Sea by "Vercors" edited by James W Brown and Lawrence D Stokes (Berg, Oxford / New York, 1991-2006). A gift from artist/curator Scott Macleod!



Under the Impression by James Berger (BlazeVOX Books, 2020). A gift from the poet!



Four Babar books by Laurent de Brunhoff. Gifts from a bookseller who'd sent me wrong books.



Bottle Grove by Daniel "Lemony Snicket" Handler (Bloomsbury, New York, 2019). Novel. A gift from the hubby who thought it interesting after a coworker gave it to him.



THE SURRENDERED by Chang Rae-Lee (Riverhead Books / Penguin, 2010). A welcome gift from a friend who is neighbors with the author!




JOLOGRAPHY RETCONNED by Paolo Manalo (University of the Philippines Press, Diliman, 2020). Gift from a poet-sound artist ... whose innately charismatic poems make me look forward to his next collection! As well, I'm grateful for the poem he wrote for moi!






Happily Ever Ek-Ek by Paolo Manalo (Gacha Press, Philippines, 2020). Gift from the poet who's a sound artist with wit! Lub it!



With Out: Love and Work by Linda Norton (Hanging Loose Press, 2020). A gift from the author!



Boys of Africa by Linda Pierce Plues (iUniverse, 2012). A gift from a friend to aid my research for some novels-in-progress. (Thanks Barbara!)



Letters to a Young Brown Girl by Barbara Jane Reyes (BOA Editions, Rochester, N.Y., 2020). Gift.




A Poet's Survival Journal in the Covid-19 Pandemic by Rosalinda Ruiz Scarfuto (Re-Bound Publishing, 2020). Gift/traded poetry books for also conducting a mutual interview.



Marcelina: a meditation on the murder of Cecilia "Celing" Navarro by Jean Vengua (Paloma Press, 2020). Poetry. Read Oct. 14. Gift plus 2 review copies.



Van Gogh’s Sunflowers for Cezanne by Martin Willits Jr. (Finishing Line Press, Georgetown, KY, 2010). Gift/traded poetry books.

Irises, the Lightning Conductor for Van Gogh’s Illness by Martin Willits Jr. (Kelsay Books, Hemet, CA, 2014). Gift/traded poetry books.

Secrets No One Must Talk About by Martin Willits Jr. (Dos Madres Press, Loveland, OH, 2011)Gift/traded poetry books.

The News from the Slow Country by Martin Willits Jr. (Kelsay Books, Hemet, CA, 2018). Gift/traded poetry books.

“The sumo lifts trees,…” by Martin Willits Jr. (broadside). Gift/traded poetry books.



The right foot of the giant by Mark Young (Bumper Books, New Zealand, 1999). I'm very excited to receive this as a gift from an Australia-based poet I highly respect and very much like. He signs it with "from before we met" so it's a very thoughtful gift!



REVIEW COPIES:

In Praise of Fragments by Meena Alexander (Nightboat Books, 2020). Poetry. Read Feb. 13. Meena's last and posthumously-published book! Contains poems but also ink drawings: "when words flee from me / the light takes over // says the woman with tattoos." R.I.P. Poet.




: once teeth bone coral : by Kimberly Alidio (Belladonna, 2020)



Notes on Mother Tongues
by Mirene Arsanios (Ugly Duckling Presse, 2020)

Alex in Movieland (1943-1973) by Alex Gildzen (Crisis Chronicles Press, 2020)



Broadway for Paul: Poems by Vincent Katz (Knopf, 2020)



Death Under Construction by Ava Koohbor (Ugly Duckling Press, 2020). A review copy.



Quartet by Claudia La Rocco (Ugly Duckling Presse, 2020)

NEIGHBOR by Rachel Levitsky (Ugly Duckling Presse, Brooklyn 2020). Poetry



The End by Aditi Machado (Ugly Duckling Presse, 2020). I describe my wonderful reading experience HERE


LYING LIKE PRESIDENTS: New & Selected Poems 2001-2019 by Djelloul Marbrook (Leaky Boot Press, U.K., 2020)

Piece of Cake by Bernadette Mayer & Lewis Warsh (Station Hill Press, Barrytown, N.Y., 2020). Poetry/Memoir. Described as  "arguably the first significant male-female collaboration in 20th century American poetry."


PLAY FOR TIME by Paula Mendoza (Gaudy Boy, 2020). A review copy for The Halo-Halo Review which I edit.


Some Girls Walk Into the Country They Are From by Sawako Nakayasu (Wave Books, 2020)

SOVIET TEXTS by Dmitri Alexandrovich Prigov (Ugly Duckling Presse, Brooklyn 2020)

By Astrolabes & Constellations by Cristina Querrer (Agave Press Manuscript & Portfolio Series, Portland, OR, 2019). A review copy for The Halo-Halo Review which I edit.



Going Head to Head by Wade Stevenson (BlazeVox, New York, 2020)



Familiar Tense by Susan Terris (Marsh Hawk Press, New York, 2020)



Being Human Is an Occult Experience by Magdalena Zurawski (Ugly Duckling Presse, 2020)

2020 Releases from Ugly Duckling Press

Second Factory, Issue One (Ugly Duckling Presse, Brooklyn, 2020)

Notes Toward a Pamphlet by Sergio Chejfec (Ugly Duckling Presse, Brooklyn, 2020)

Golem Soveticus: Prigov as Brecht and Warhol in One Persona by Aleksandr Skidan (Ugly Duckling Presse, Brooklyn, 2020)

The World has Been Empty since the Postcard by Simon Cutts (Ugly Duckling Presse, Brooklyn, 2020)

Thirty-Odd Functions of Voice in the Poetry of Alice Notley by Steven Zultanski (Ugly Duckling Presse, Brooklyn, 2020)

Translation is a Mode = Translation is an Anti-Neocolonial Mode by Don Mee Choi (Ugly Duckling Presse, Brooklyn, 2020)



MISCELLANEOUS:
Inadvertent Purchase: As I say elsewhere on this site, the only books I'm allowing myself to buy are for gifts or for the Miniature Book Library. As regards the latter, books have to be no larger than 4" x 4". Well, I got duped into buying a so-called miniature which is actually too large to be part of the MBL: THE RUBY (containing 3 stories) published by Leavitt & Allen (New York, 1843). Well, it at least looks to be a rather nifty antiquarian book:








Comments